Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Poop happens (except in my house).

Whilst it's not abnormal for a breastfed baby to go several days without pooping, it makes my son very unhappy and uncomfortable. He gets so super farty, and let me tell you what - they are some kinda stinky. I feel bad for my boxer Sissy because her breath smells like Peanut's toots (but I digress). I know this is too much information, BUT I wind up having to give him a glycerin suppository up the bum after the third day or so of no BMs.

So now I'm putting Benefiber in my coffee and eating a Fiber One bar every day. And to my delight, the commercials don't lie. Cardboard no, delicious yes.

Pray that my little guy can push one out this afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. Shelly - Careful with overload of fiber - my sister did that and her little breast fed baby suffered for days!! Its common for BF babies to go a week without a poo - stop worrying about it so much and you may see a change. If hes letting out gas - thats a good sign! If he looks uncomfortable try infant mylicon - its great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jonathan - I'll take it easy on the fiber, but this isn't the first time. He's gone as long as 8 days, and even though I know the gas is a good sign, he's so unbelievably uncomfortable, hard belly, etc. that I'm hoping a change in diet might help. Maybe I should just stick to eating prunes? I'll definitely be careful, though, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 8 days is normal. Ive know babies who have gone two weeks without a poo. Does his poo come out hard? or soft? if soft - thats a good sign too. if hard - then you know something is up. thats a good gauge.
    A lot of babies are allergic to dairy - do you eat a lot of dairy?
    Sometimes changing your diet will help with babies diet. Definitely take it easy on fiber - it could make it even worse then it is. Even try giving him some water. that could help too. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete